Sinusitis, or a nasal infection, is a common condition that affects the sinuses in the nose. Sinuses are small air-filled cavities found within the nose, forehead, and under the eyes. The mucus which is produced by sinuses should drain in the nose through small channels. When someone suffers from sinusitis, these channels will be blocked while the sinus lining will get swollen and inflamed.
Symptoms and signs of sinusitis:
Sinusitis can be difficult to distinguish from the common cold. Both produce bothersome congestion and difficulty breathing, however, the symptoms of sinusitis are typically more severe and last longer. Some signs to look for include:
- A yellow or green discharge in the nose
- Blocked nose
- Tenderness and pain in the forehead, eyes, and cheeks
- Sinus headaches
- High temperature
- Reduced smelling ability
- Bad breath
Treatments for sinusitis
If your symptoms are not severe or worsening, you may try to manage the problem yourself at home. This can be done with a humidifier, warm compress, nasal spray, or an over the counter decongestant. However, it is important to see your doctor if your symptoms become difficult to manage, severe, or last longer than 10 days. If you have experienced sinusitis in the past, you could be experiencing a recurring infection and should see your doctor.
Treatment from your doctor
If your home remedies do not yield results, it is time to go see a doctor. Here are some of the treatments you can expect from your doctor for sinusitis:
- Corticosteroids, also called steroids, help with reducing the inflammation in the sinusitis.
- Antibiotics are given if bacterial infection is the reason for your sinusitis.
- If treatment fails and your symptoms refuse to go away, then you can get Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery. It is a procedure that will improve drainage of the sinuses.
If you suspect your congestion is due to sinusitis, contact AOO right away for an appointment with one of our ENT specialists. We can determine the cause of your symptoms to determine the appropriate treatment for you.